Genre: Graphic Novel
My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
It’s been a while since I’ve read a graphic novel, and I’ve had Monstress on my wishlist for a couple of years now! So glad I finally bought it on Black Friday and read it!!
The artwork is stunning and the storyline is so complex.
I’ll be completely honest, the story can be a tad confusing and not everyone is into this kind of fantasy. So you’ll either really love this intricate world (like moi), or you won’t. But I’ll try to get into it without spoiling it.
There are humans, Arcanics (half human, half Ancient), Ancients and other animal hybrids.
The story starts with an introduction to the main character, who is a teenage Arcanic girl missing her left arm. Her name is Maika Halfwolf who is trying to piece together a dark past she doesn’t remember.
Here’s what we know:
– Maika was a slave when she was young and manages to escape with her friend Tuya.
– Now at 17, she (Maika) decides to go back to the slaver and gets auctioned to the Cumaea, which is a human research organization with connections to her mother Moriko Halfwolf.
– all hell breaks loose upon meeting Yvette, which we discover was once friends with Moriko, but betrayed her.
– it is here that we also meet Kippa (one my fave characters), and meet the monster living in Maika’s missing arm.
– Maika has an unknown piece of a mask, which wreaks even more havoc on her already dangerous journey.
There was never a dull moment and the ending..
It definitely leaves you wanting to read vol. 2!
Have you read it? What did you think? Have you read the other books in this series??